It’s time to start planting the seeds of this summer’s garden. Tempted to start your own? Don’t worry: being a beginner doesn’t mean that you can’t do excellent work. Here are ten tips to help any gardening novice grow like a pro.
1. Plan it out. Before you get your hands dirty, try to envision your ideal garden as a whole. Sketch the layout of the space you have to work with and its surroundings. No matter how big or small your project may be, proper planning is the key to success.
2. Acquire tools. Digging, planting and maintaining your garden requires some basic equipment. A beginner’s toolbox should include a spade, a hoe, a rake, a trowel, a wheelbarrow, a watering can, some shears and a pair of gloves. Having the right tools makes gardening infinitely more enjoyable and helps prevent injuries.
3. Mind the lighting. Your garden or flowerbeds should ideally be located in a spot that receives lots of sunlight and little wind, but many species do well in shadier conditions. Before you settle on a variety to sow, consider its solar needs and whether or not you can fulfill them.
4. Prepare the soil. Provide your plants with the best possible soil conditions and watch them thrive! Removing rocks and pebbles, tilling the ground and adding some fertilizer goes a long way in creating a fertile space to grow.
5. Keep bloom cycles in mind. Enjoy the results of your hard work for as long as you can by including plants that flower at different times of the season in your garden.
6. Match colors. Try to match your flowers to your home’s exterior for a stunning, cohesive effect. Don’t feature too many hues, however, to avoid a cluttered look.
7. Plant in groups. Foster cross-pollination and improve your garden’s vitality by planting in bunches. Avoid isolating single specimens — your plants are social creatures too!
8. Mix it up. Create a balanced look by varying the height and shape of the plants in your garden.
9. Give it space. Your adorable sprouts and tiny seeds will eventually grow into full-fledged adult plants. Consider how large they’ll be once they reach maturity and plan accordingly. Always follow the recommended planting depth for each variety as well.
10. Ask for help. Need some assistance? Don’t hesitate to seek advice from us. We love sharing our knowledge! Our valuable years of expertise can make a world of difference when it comes to achieving the landscaping of your dreams.